Like most parts of our body, we take our skin for granted. We get a paper cut. It heals in a day. We rip our hands doing CrossFit. It heals in a week. We gash ourselves falling off our bikes. It heals a couple weeks. Some injuries leave scars behind. Others don’t. However, we all take for granted that our skin will do its job. Most of us don’t think too much about it until something happens that we care about such as a cut to our face or a gash to our arm.
Regular skin care is extremely important, especially as you age. Your skin loses elasticity. Collagen production (the healing proteins in the subcutaneous layer of your skin) diminishes production. Signs of aging creep in.
While the degeneration of our skin is a natural part of aging, cannot be reversed, and is out of our control, the severity level is something we can control. We can slow the aging process down and also with modern technology, we can help our skin rejuvenate. As a leader in microneedling products, MDPen knows the importance of skin care. Here are some of our favorite tips for caring for your skin as you age:
- Cleansing. There is perhaps no greater action you can take for great skin than keeping it clean. MDPen recommends washing your skin with a soothing, all-natural cleanser with no harsh ingredients at least once a day. Before bed is perhaps the most essential time to wash your skin so the dirt and grime of the day don’t seep into your pores overnight.
- Moisturizing. With most of your body being water and the dermis containing 70 percent water and the epidermis 15 percent, moisture is essential to keeping your skin healthy and youthful. When your skin is dehydrated, you’ll look older as the skin struggles to stay plump. Again, a great quality, all-natural moisturizer applied to your skin daily will help it maintain its moisture content and stay looking fabulous.
- Exfoliating. Exfoliating is removing the skin’s dead cells and clearing out the pores of bacteria, dirt, grime, oils, and make-up that irritate the skin. Your skin is sensitive and easily damaged, so choose a gentle exfoliant with all-natural ingredients and use once or twice a week.
- Sunscreen. The sun is powerful. But because of its ubiquitous presence, we ignore it most of the time. However, UV rays are the primary cause of wrinkles, pigmentation, sun spots, reduced skin elasticity, the degradation of skin texture, and many other signs of skin aging. In fact, some studies say that 80 to 90 percent of how young or old you look for your age is due to how much exposure to the sun you’ve had.
- Serums. Think of serums as a lightweight moisturizer with a punch. Serums are skincare products applied to your skin after cleansing but before moisturizing. They contain special, often more concentrated ingredients to penetrate to deeper layers of the skin. MDPen has its own proprietary serums specifically formulated for microneedling patients. Ingredients to look for in serums include: human growth factors, hyaluronic acid, and various peptides. Again, look for all-natural ingredients.
Like most things in life, we often don’t realize the value of something and what it means to us until it’s gone. This holds for our skin as well. As kids, who thinks about their skin? As teenagers, you notice your skin perhaps for the first time when acne crops up. Women take more note of their skin because they most likely apply make-up every day and care more about how they look. However, most of us don’t really pay attention to our skin and start taking care of it until middle age when our first wrinkle appears.
MDPen is a proponent of microneedling, a process that stimulates our body’s natural collagen production to help reverse the signs of aging. microneedling is a solution for many who desire to look younger through the smoothing of wrinkles and fine lines and the reduction of sagging skin. microneedling is also effective against scarring and stretch marks. Our network of microneedling practitioners are eager to answer your questions about microneedling and help you reach your skincare goals. Reach out to us today!