Your skin is the largest organ in your body. It’s a living, breathing machine that operates best when taken care of just like any man-made machine, such as an engine or a pulley. Skin care is a billion dollar industry for good reason as the care of your skin cannot be overemphasized.
microneedling (also known as collagen induction therapy) is a procedure that stimulates collagen production in the lower layers of your skin. You can think of collagen as the building blocks of your skin: collagen supports and strengthens your cells, thereby smoothing out your skin and making it firmer. When you have a microneedling procedure done, channels are created, opening your pores. In this small window of time, it is essential to apply the right skin care products to maximize the results of microneedling. Furthermore, in the days and weeks following a skin care procedure, you will notice your face looking fuller and more youthful. You’ll need to take special care during this time to choose the right skin care products to complement and enhance your microneedling procedure. In part two of this blog post, we’ll cover the complementary makeup you can use once your microneedling procedure is finished.
MDPen, a leader in microneedling pens and supplies, offers a proprietary skin care product line specifically for use in microneedling aftercare. Our mission is to help microneedling practitioners in their practices by supplying them with all their microneedling needs. Contact us today!
MICRONEEDLING AFTERCARE: WHAT SKIN CARE LOOKS LIKE
In the first 72 hours after a microneedling procedure:
- Clean will be your mantra. microneedling is based on creating micro injuries to your skin. Like any injury, your skin will be a little raw and tender. Keeping the wounds clean is paramount to avoid infection. MDPen recommends using only a very gentle cleanser and tepid water to wash your skin. Make sure your hands are as clean as possible while you are washing the treated area.
- Hydrate. A microneedling treatment stresses your skin. Hence, it becomes very dry, which is the cause of the tightness you may experience in microneedling aftercare. You’ll want to restore the water content back to the skin as quickly as possible. Hyaluronic acid (the purer the better) is the best skin care product for this and, with your opened pores, hyaluronic acid will reach the lower layers quickly.
- Healing. microneedling is an all natural facelift created through minor injury. You need to let your body heal in order to maximize your results. Choose an antioxidant serum containing ingredients and properties that will soothe the skin, reduce irritation, and promote the skin rejuvenation process.
- Avoid any harmful irritants to the skin. The pores will clog easily and not heal properly during the window of time your skin is healing if you apply skin care products or makeup.
Apply helpful ingredients. microneedling on its own is highly effective for minimizing the signs of aging. However, we want to do everything we can to maximize the regeneration process.
- Collagen-stimulating peptides are highly recommended in order to get the most out of your treatment. Peptides are chains of amino acids that when they come together in a chain become proteins. Short chains of amino acids can penetrate the top layer of our skin, both stimulating more collagen production and helping strengthen the collagen itself.
- Be in protection mode. As your skin is healing, you’ll want to protect it for at least a week. You’ll want to avoid the sun, tanning beds, swimming, and exercise.
- Chemical-free is your friend. Once the critical 72 hour passes, you’ll want to pick skin care products that are chemical-free. Below, we’ll explore the best skin care products to heal the skin and enhance your microneedling procedure.
THE BEST AFTERCARE MICRONEEDLING SKIN CARE PRODUCTS
- MDPen’s Moisture + Recovery Gel Mask with Human Growth Factors. If you’re looking for an all-in-one microneedling serum that will hydrate, protect, repair, and clear your skin, then this is the one. MDPen’s Moisture + Recovery Gel Mask with Human Growth Factors contains Human Growth Factors to help promote healthy skin and a youthful appearance. Other key ingredients include Tremella Fuciformis Sporocarp (Snow Mushroom) Extract, a super-humectant which acts to reduce moisture loss; and the MariMoist® blend of Chondrus Crispus Extract and Sodium Hyaluronate to instantly hydrate and soften. With the addition of Calendula, Aloe, and Oat Kernel, our mask provides the nourishment and calming agents needed to restore the skin after treatment and improve the appearance of signs of aging, saggy skin, acne, dryness, and dullness. This incredible formula is also loaded with antioxidants to not only help fight those skin issues but to maximize the benefits of the ingredients. Perfect recovery for after a microneedling procedure or as an additive to your normal skin care regimen.
- MDPen’s Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Moisturizer. You’ll need constant protection from the sun after a microneedling procedure. Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Moisturizer does just that and more by moisturizing as well. This moisturizer gives visible results, including smoother fine lines and wrinkles and a more radiant and younger-looking skin. With such powerhouse ingredients such as Jojoba Esters to help with skin hydration and Sunflower Seed Extract to help form a protective barrier as well as agents to help thicken and improve elasticity of the skin, this moisturizer can be used daily as an aftercare microneedling skin care product or as an everyday addition to your sunscreen use.
- MDPen’s Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum. Made from only a handful of all-natural, paraben-free ingredients, this Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum will help drive moisture deep into the skin after a microneedling procedure. It also helps to boost collagen production of the skin, which helps to reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Hyaluronic acid itself is considered to have a greater capacity to hold moisture than any other polymer. MDPen Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum replenishes the skin’s moisture reservoir, restoring firmness and elasticity, and showing overall skin improvement.
- MDPen’s Copper + HA Mist. As a spray on, Copper + HA Mists is incredibly gently on the skin after your microneedling procedure, and is extremely effective as a hydrator and collagen booster. This Copper + HA mist also acts as a powerful antioxidant that promotes firmer, smoother skin. This spray is recommended to use every two hours on the skin after your microneedling procedure, cutting back to daily usage after 72 hours.
microneedling is a powerful procedure to help eliminate the signs of aging, decrease the appearance of scars, and aid in skin restoration of all kinds. However, by applying specific skin care products immediately after a microneedling session, you can improve the results and help the skin achieve the look you desire.
MDPen recognizes the importance of skin care. That’s why we’ve worked diligently to develop our own line of skin care products specific to microneedling. Results from microneedling are amazing. Adding in skin care products to boost the results can turn amazing into astounding.
HOW MANY SESSIONS DOES MICRONEEDLING REQUIRE?
microneedling is a procedure that builds upon itself. Repeated microneedling sessions may be needed to help restore the damage done over years of environmental exposure. Sessions are recommended to be about four weeks apart in order to allow the skin treatment area to heal and to maximize the results. Other complementary treatments may be recommended by your microneedling practitioner as well based on your individual results and goals.
In most cases, collagen induction requires at least three treatments, while scar reduction usually needs between three and six in order to get the desired results. Again, it’s hard to give an exact figure on the required amount of micro needling sessions since every individual is different. While most commonly used on the face, micro needling can be used on all parts of the body, such as the neck, collarbone, arms, legs, stomach, and more. Whether you only undergo one microneedling session or multiple sessions, results usually appear after the first treatment as the body repairs itself.
MDPen is passionate about helping others look their best and feel their best about how they look. Most of us regard ourselves with a critical eye, and no matter what others tell us, we still find faults. Micro needling is one tool to help you achieve the look you desire of less wrinkles, fine lines, brown spots, and stretch marks. MDPen accomplishes its mission by supporting microneedling practitioners with skin care products for microneedling. Contact us today for more information!