From Redness to Radiance:
How to Care for Your Skin After Microneedling
Proper aftercare is crucial to achieving the best results from microneedling. Aftercare helps to minimize the risk of infection, reduce inflammation, and promote healing. Neglecting aftercare can lead to complications such as scarring, hyperpigmentation, or infection. Therefore, it’s essential to follow your dermatologist’s or aesthetician”s aftercare instructions carefully.
Understanding Collagen Production and Its Role in Healing
Collagen is a protein that provides structure and elasticity to the skin. As we age, our collagen production decreases, leading to fine lines, wrinkles, and sagging skin. Microneedling helps to stimulate collagen production, leading to firmer, smoother, and younger-looking skin. The micro-injuries created by the needles trigger the skin’s natural healing process, leading to the production of new collagen and elastin fibers.
What To Expect After Microneedling
After microneedling, you may experience some degree of flaking or peeling. This is normal and is a result of the skin’s natural healing process. As the skin heals, the top layer of dead skin cells will start to peel away, revealing fresh, new skin underneath. It’s important not to pick at the peeling skin, as this can cause scarring and delay the healing process. Instead, use a gentle cleanser to help remove the dead skin cells.
- Keep the treated area clean: Wash the treated area gently with MDPen Hydrating Cleanser and lukewarm water. Avoid using hot water, harsh cleansers, or scrubs for at least five days after the treatment.
- Use a hydrating serum: After microneedling, your skin may feel dry and tight. To combat this, use MDPen Pure Hyaluronic Acid serum. Hyaluronic acid is a humectant that attracts moisture to the skin, helping it stay hydrated. When applied topically, it can help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, improve skin texture, and promote healing.
- Apply a growth factor gel: MDPen Human Derived Growth Factor Gel can help to speed up the healing process and promote collagen production. Look for a gel that contains ingredients such as epidermal growth factor or transforming growth factor. Growth factors are proteins that help to regulate cell growth and division. When applied topically, they can help to speed up the healing process, reduce inflammation, and promote collagen production.
- Wear sunscreen: Sunscreen is essential to protect your skin from UV damage, which can delay the healing process and cause hyperpigmentation. Wear MDPen Broad Spectrum SPF 30.
- Don’t touch the treated area: Avoid touching the treated area with your hands, as this can introduce bacteria and cause infection.
- Don’t wear makeup: Avoid wearing makeup for at least 24 hours after the treatment. Makeup can clog the pores, leading to breakouts and delaying the healing process.
- Don’t use harsh skincare products: Avoid using skincare products that contain retinoids, alpha-hydroxy acids, or benzoyl peroxide for at least five days after the treatment. These products can irritate the skin and delay the healing process.
Achieving Radiant Skin with Microneedling and Proper Aftercare
Microneedling is an effective treatment for improving skin texture, reducing fine lines and wrinkles, and minimizing the appearance of scars and stretch marks. However, proper aftercare is essential to achieving the best results. By following the dos and don’ts of microneedling aftercare and using products such as hyaluronic acid serum and growth factor gel, you can promote healing and achieve radiant, glowing skin.
Remember to be patient, as the healing process can take several days to a week or more, depending on the depth of the needles used. With proper aftercare, you’ll be able to enjoy the full benefits of microneedling and achieve the skin of your dreams.