The sun is powerful. One million Earths could fit inside the sun. As almost a perfect sphere, it contains 99.86% of the mass in our solar system. The temperature inside the sun can reach 15 million degrees Celcius. The sun is all the colors mixed together, making it appear white to our eyes. The sun supplies all of our energy and, without it, we’d be colder and darker than Pluto. Without the sun, there would be no life on Earth. No flowers to brighten our day. No animals to laugh at their antics. No cats to squeeze or dogs to fetch. And no humans to make life worth living.
SUN EXPOSURE AND THE SKIN
Even though the light that reaches the Earth from the sun is 8 minutes old, it is this light that is the source of life on earth and also what causes most of our aging. UV rays from the sun are the primary cause of wrinkles, pigmentation, sun spots, reduced skin elasticity, the degradation of skin texture, and most all signs of skin aging. In fact, some studies have shown that up to 80-90% of how young or old you look is due to how much sun exposure you’ve had throughout your life time. The results of these studies are the same no matter what part of the world you live in.
Known in the scientific community as dermatoheliosis (the Greek words for skin and sun), damage caused by the sun five major parts of the skin: the epidermis, the dermis, blood vessels, sebaceous glands, and melanocytes (diffuse or mottled brown patches).
Little was known about sun damage to the skin until the twentieth century. This was mainly due to a cultural shift. For centuries, humans shunned exposure to the sun, mainly for class reasons. Tanned skin was a sign of serfdom and lower class as only those who worked the fields had tanned skin. Humans, especially women, covered their bodies and wore hats when they left the house to protect their skin from the sun.
It was only after World War II that society decided that a tanned body looked healthier than a white body. Hence, doctors began to notice a difference in aging since then due to this increased sun exposure. Nowadays, it would be near impossible to find someone who does not show signs of aging due to the sun.
microneedling, a procedure using microneedling devices such as MDPen’s microneedling device, helps eliminate the signs of aging due to exposure to the sun. It stimulates collagen production to erase fine lines, wrinkles, and sagging skin. Find our more about microneedling on our site today.
CONSEQUENCES OF SUN EXPOSURE TO THE SKIN
- Leathering of the skin
- Increased wrinkling
- Increase in skin cancer such as melanoma and nonmelanoma
- Development of keratoses of different sorts
- Increase in skin irritation
- Increase in skin bruising
Normal aging of the skin is a result of genetic factors and the passage of time. Outside contributors to skin aging is predominantly environmental factors and lifestyle habits such as pollution and sun exposure, diet, tobacco use, and exercise.
Those with darker skin are less susceptible to damage caused by the sun than those with lighter skin, and thus those with darker skin show signs of aging typically 10-20 years later than fairer-skinned people.
The sun is primarily responsible for wrinkles and the depth of those wrinkles. Studies even show that the number of wrinkles you have directly relates to the amount of sun exposure you’ve sustained over your lifetime. It’s been shown that people with less sun exposure look 8-10 years younger than those with a good amount of sun exposure. Repetitive exposure to Ultraviolet radiation (UV radiation) hastens aging.
TIPS FOR LOOKING YOUNGER LONGER
We’ve learned that exposure to the sun is one of the primary factors of signs of aging and hastening the natural aging process. So what are some things you can do to mitigate the damage the sun does to your skin?
- Go outside less. This may be unrealistic for some people (and even undesirable for those who love the outdoors), but this is one way to look younger longer.
- Protect your skin from the sun. Everytime you go outside, wear sunscreen. Even on cloudy days or days you think you won’t be outside all that long, all it takes is 10 minutes for the sun to damage exposed skin. If you’re going to continue to lead an active lifestyle, be smart about it; wear sunscreen.
- Eat healthy. Food contains certain ingredients that help protect us from the effects of UV exposure.
- Invest in great skin care products. MDPen offers its own proprietary line of skincare products and creams designed to reverse the signs of aging. MDPen Copper + HA Mist is an excellent skin care product that contains hyaluronic acid for significant hydration and copper peptides which boost collagen. This creams acts as an antioxidants as well and acts to promote firmer, smoother skin.
- Invest in microneedling. microneedling devices that provide microneedling are excellent treatments to combat the signs of aging. A noninvasive skin care procedure, microneedling garners amazing results. microneedling and microneedling devices are also effective for treating stretch marks, skin pigmentations, and acne scars.
Life is meant to be lived. But lived wisely. MDPen supports active lifestyles for overall health and well being. While you’re enjoying your weekend hike or day at the beach, it’s important to look good while doing it. Investing in microneedling procedures using microneedling devices is a great way to use your body’s natural healing abilities to combat the signs of aging while still enjoying life.
MDPen invests in the lives of individuals. Our mission is to help patients look younger and feel better about themselves because of it. Being self-confident and putting yourself out in the world are important keys to happiness. MDPen offers microneedling training courses for those who share our passion and want to begin offering microneedling procedures using microneedling devices in their clinic, spa, or practice. We carry products designed to aid the microneedling practitioner who uses MDPen’s microneedling devices such as patient brochures, skin care kits, Neuromed BLT Numbing Cream, replacement heads for microneedling devices, and the microneedling device itself, MDPen.
MDPen understands life is worth living. microneedling procedures using microneedling devices can help you achieve the look you’ve always wanted as you reverse the effects of the sun. microneedling can help you look years younger in under an hour. microneedling procedures are short, effective, and affordable for your skin. Take care of your skin through microneedling. Contact MDPen today for more information on our microneedling devices!