Once you’re over the hump so to speak of the aftercare of a microneedling procedure and you can once again return to your normal skin care regimen, you’ll be ready to wear makeup again. So how will your makeup change since your face is now fuller and more youthful? MDPen offers tips to accentuate your new look.
TIPS FOR THE BEST MAKEUP AFTER A MICRONEEDLING PROCEDURE
- Make an appointment with an aesthetician. Some people know very little about makeup, and some women haven’t changed their makeup colors for years (not recommended). Like getting re-sized for bras every two years, you should get your makeup choices reevaluated by a professional such as an aesthetician or a makeup artist. These professionals are experts in matching your skin tone with your foundation and powder as well as on what colors look the best on you. As you age, your skin changes over time, deeming a consultation with a professional a must-do if you want to look your best, and there’s no better time than after a microneedling procedure.
- Know the makeup ingredients. All natural, organic, paraben-free, and free from other chemicals is the best choice for makeup after a microneedling procedure (or any other time). Make sure your makeup is pure mineral and not just mineral-based, which may contain ingredients such as talc or preservatives, that are not the best aftercare for microneedling. A healthy mineral foundation without oils, fillers, preservatives, or fragrances can cover your skin perfectly and won’t irritate your sensitive skin.
- Know the seller. Always purchase makeup from an approved provider. Many knock-offs are on the internet and are full of harmful ingredients that could harm your face, especially after a microneedling procedure where your skin is more sensitive and susceptible to toxins. There is a little-known industry for people who are “dumpster divers” in terms of makeup products. They will sell discarded products online at deep discounts. Be aware counterfeit products are also found in stores and not just on the internet. The best way to be sure you are getting authentic makeup is to go to the official website and use your zip code in the “find a store” or “find a provider” area provided. MDPen sells all of our products online as well as at our provider stores. You can be sure all of our proprietary skin care products are organic and are paraben-, petrochemical- and SLS/SLE- free. We don’t test on animals either.
- Powder over liquid. Choose a powder over liquid, which won’t tug on your skin while it’s healing. Furthermore, you won’t have to rub in powder, which keeps the makeup more on the surface of the skin as opposed to seeping into the skin’s pores.
- Eye makeup. For a mascara, look for one that is hypoallergenic, mild, and conditioning and that does not contain lacquers, shella, or petroleum based products. If you have had the area around your eyes treated with microneedling, look for pure mineral eye shadows that are highly pigmented and do not contain chemical dyes or preservatives that may cause irritation.
THE BEST MINERALS IN MAKEUP AFTER A MICRONEEDLING PROCEDURE
- Titanium dioxide – Protects the skin post-surgery
- Mica – Mica is great because it causes a healthy glow to your skin without a shimmery appearance as it actually refracts light. Be aware, however, that too much mica can dry out the skin.
- Bismuth oxychloride – This gray/white powder is a naturally-occurring mineral found in the earth’s crust and is believed to have antiseptic properties, which can help the skin heal and fend off infections as well.
- Iron oxides – Pure minerals and pigments that are natural-looking and help you look flawless after your microneedling procedure.
MAKEUP INGREDIENTS TO AVOID IN SKIN CARE PRODUCTS AFTER MICRONEEDLING
- Petroleum or petroleum-based makeup
- Artificial dyes
- Glycolic and Salicylic acids, or any other acids that interfere with the healing process
- Glitter makeup or shimmery makeup, which may have irritants or small particles in them that can clog your pores and slow down healing
FINAL MAKEUP APPLICATION TIPS FOR AFTERCARE MICRONEEDLING
Although the temptation is great, putting on makeup too soon after surgery can cause an infection or slow the healing process. The pressure on the skin while applying makeup can cause bruising and slow the healing process as well. Wearing a hat is a great option if you just can’t go a few days without makeup as well as scheduling your microneedling session for a Friday, so you don’t have to worry about going to work for at least a few days where, odds are, you are seen the most.
Before putting on your makeup, we recommend investing in a good hydration spray that uses all natural ingredients to calm, nourish, and hydrate skin. Hydration spray is also useful to set your minerals once applied as well as help to close pores and conceal fine lines. Spritzing your face often is helpful to add moisture content even when you think you may not need it. When using moisturizer or a moisturizing spray, make sure the moisturizer has completely penetrated the skin (your face should be dry) before applying the mineral foundation.
Be cognizant of infection and make sure you use a clean applicator and your face is freshly washed before applying makeup. Stick with light-weight, fragrance-free, and petroleum-free skin care products.
With microneedling, the redness should have subsided before you get to the makeup stage. If some reason your face is still red or bruised, a pure mineral foundation with yellow undertones will cover the redness with a natural look. If you took our tip and saw a makeup specialist or an aesthetician, then you probably have all new tones and colors to choose from. Have fun and get creative!
THE MDPEN DIFFERENCE
There are a lot of microneedling pen companies that offer microneedling procedures. microneedling in and of itself is essentially the same, using the same microneedling pens, supplies, and aftercare instructions to produce a new you. Where the difference lies is in the quality of the procedure and the care of our practitioners. Our practitioners put the clients first in all that they do. Our skin care products are the best on the market for aftercare microneedling as well as for everyday use to encourage collagen production and help to eliminate the signs of aging. Our microneedling technology is top-rated. And the results are top-notch.
MDPen offers microneedling training courses to help practitioners deliver the best microneedling experience to clients. Some of our microneedling practitioners are aestheticians who can best help you with makeup selection after the procedure. Furthermore, our practitioners offer continued support before, during, and after the microneedling session. If you have questions about aftercare or skin care or questions in general about microneedling and how microneedling can help, our practitioners stay up-to-date with the latest in microneedling uses, applications, care, and training. In sum, MDPen’s practitioners are caring and compassionate. A job well done is when you’re ecstatic about the results. If you’re looking for the best microneedling practitioner in your area, visit our find a practitioner page. Simply enter your zip code for a list of microneedling physicians, nurses, day spas, and aestheticians near you. Visit MDPen online for the latest in microneedling!