Summer is synonymous with fun. School is out. The days are long and warm. The outdoors beckon like a stranger across the room. Kids play all day long and return home exhausted. You get off work and plan a great afternoon at the lake paddle boarding with your dog. Late nights in the park with a great little band are what you live for. However, weather changes are rough on your skin. So when the seasons change, your skin has to adjust, much like you do. Depending on where you live, you could be going from dry to humid or vice versa and from no sun exposure to overexposure. When summer comes, you need to be mindful of your skin and its care.
MDPen, a leader in micro needling pens, supports micro needling practitioners. What is micro needling? Micro needling is a non invasive skin care procedure that aims to boost your skin’s natural healing abilities. It does this through making tiny micro-injuries to your skin. Your skin responds by producing more collagen (micro needling is also known as collagen induction therapy), which strengthens your skin. This results in the diminished appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and a diminished appearance in scars, such as acne scars and stretch marks. Furthermore, micro needling boosts collagen production in your hair follicles as well, which helps to encourage your hair to grow, helping to mitigate hair loss. In this blog post, we’ll review some summer skin care tips for you to consider as you’re out and about in this amazing time of year. Contact MDPen today for all your micro needling needs!
SUMMER SKIN CARE TIPS AND TRICKS
- Sunscreen. You know you need it, so we’ll just say it. Wearing sunscreen is one of the keys to maintaining a youthful look because the sun is the leading cause of premature signs of aging in our skin, thanks to its powerful UV rays. Any time you’ll be outside, you need to have sunscreen on all exposed skin areas. Wearing a wide brim hat is a great way to shield your entire face from the sun. A ball cap, which probably looks good on you, doesn’t cover the sides of your face sufficiently. When you’re gardening, going on a long walk on the beach, or hanging out at your neighborhood pool, a sun hat will keep the sun away all day long.
- Don’t forget your scalp. We’ve all had it: the red line down the center of our head where your hair parts. This is a sunburn and, yes, it counts for burnt skin and needs to be protected as well. If you’re not wearing a hat, you’ll need to make sure to apply sunscreen here as well.
- Bug spray. While some bugs are admittedly cute (grasshoppers and ladybugs), mosquitoes are downright annoying, and one of the biggest unanswered questions in this world is why do mosquitoes exist. Philosophy aside, you’ll need bug spray to hopefully avoid getting bitten (but it always seems these little pests can find an opening if one exists). If you do happen to be the victim of this tiny little creature that exists for some reason or other, don’t scratch. You can make it worse, and you can even cause scarring if you itch repeatedly. Invest in some good itch-soothing cream, or put your aloe vera plant to work, and rub some of that amazing leaf juice in.
- Exfoliate. After a long winter of being covered up and sitting in hot rooms all day long, your skin probably needs a good scrubbing to rid it of dry skin buildup. If you are in the sun a lot this summer, you’ll want to exfoliate regularly since your skin will most likely be drier and be more likely to form flakes.
- Eat fruits. Summer is also the growing season and the season where fruit tastes the best, so take advantage of it. Fruits are packed full of antioxidants that will help hydrate and nourish your skin. Some great fruit choices include cantaloupe, blueberries, strawberries, plums, oranges, and grapes. Pack these guys for snacks throughout the day, and your skin will thank you for it.
- Summer skin care routine. You’ll probably want to switch your summer skin care products. Invest in routine skin care products with SPF added, so when you do forget to apply additional sunscreen, your face will have some protection. MDPen makes a proprietary line of skin care products, which includes our Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Moisturizer, which is specially formulated to not only offer you protection from the sun’s powerful UV rays, but also to hydrate and moisturize your skin. Exchange your heavier moisturizers for lighter ones and use a high-quality serum right before bed to add powerful moisture content while you rest overnight. MDPen offers many serums, but two would be perfect to add to your nightly skin care routine: Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum and Cellular Renewal Serum. Both will replenish the moisture you lost throughout the day, as well as work on tightening and firming your skin.
- Treat brown sun spots. Sun spots or age spots are formed when your skin is overexposed to the sun (hence the more common name). They look like freckles but are larger. Most of us have some of these. In essence, your body was trying to combat damage from the sun, so it began to produce melanin, which formed the spot. Once formed, you can treat sun spots in many ways, such as over the counter creams or even chemical peels or lasers. However, micro needling can also be used to treat sun spots. A new layer of skin is formed from micro needling where new collagen has been formed in the treated area. The old layer of skin falls off, and the new layer results with diminished dark spots. This process uses the natural healing power of your body and is chemical-free with no side effects. Micro needling works on all skin types. Your skin will be smoother, clearer, and more youthful as a result of micro needling.
- Protect your eyes. We’ve emphasized the importance of protecting your face, in general, from the harmful rays of the sun, but now we want to emphasize the importance of protecting your eyes. The skin around your eyes is one of the thinnest on your body, which is why signs of aging tend to show up there first. Invest in a great eye cream, packed with powerful moisturizing content such as hyaluronic acid. One with SPF would be great for the summer. If you are concerned about your fine lines and wrinkles around your eyes, micro needling can help. It will help boost your skin around your eyes, lifting it, and helping your lines to even out, giving you a more youthful appearance.
- Guard against acne outbreaks. Let’s face it, in the summer you sweat more. You’re more active, and it’s hot out — two conditions that work against you. Acne breakouts can happen anywhere on the skin, not just the face. The best weapon against acne breakouts is your skin care routine. Find a hydrating skin care moisturizer with little oil content, and be sure to cleanse your face thoroughly, at least twice a day. Baths can help prevent acne breakouts elsewhere on the body. Throw in nourishing bath salts to help reduce inflammation and soothe any irritation you may have from the sun and sweat.
MDPen understands the freedom summer affords. You can let your hair loose (or put it up on hot days), and run free with the wind like you did in the days of your youth. To that effect, MDPen’s mission is to help you re-capture the look of your youth through micro needling treatments. Micro needling offers so many benefits besides helping to rejuvenate your skin and look years younger. It helps by exfoliating the skin and helping to diminish marks such as stretch marks and acne scars that we wish weren’t there. Micro needling can stimulate your hair follicles to encourage hair growth. Micro needling can even be combined with other treatments, such as radiofrequency micro needling to deliver powerful stimulants in the deeper layers of your skin to encourage change.
HOW MDPEN CAN HELP
MDPen offers the best micro needles on the market today. We offer replacement heads for our micro needles as well as financing to get your practice started in micro needling. Unsure how to start with micro needling? Get certified through our online micro needling course, which will teach you all you need to know to add micro needling to your day spa, practice, or aesthetician clinic. Micro needling makes a great complement to other services, such as facials, body wraps, waxing, or even microdermabrasion. More people these days are looking for an all-in-one service where they can get a plethora of beauty treatments. Micro needling is a great way to diversify your offerings and attract more customers.
MDPen believes we all need summer in our lives — a period where we can kick back, relax, go on vacation to exotic locales, and boost our spirits. Beauty and health is holistic, meaning you have to feel good in all areas of your life in order to live your best life ever. Micro needling can make you look younger, giving you a bounce in your step when someone you haven’t seen for a while compliments you on your looks. Escaping to Tahiti can give you a break from the stress of your career, daily chores, and even the kids. Finding a deserted beach with a book in hand can take your mind away for a few hours. Exercising can give you a rush of endorphins, making you feel energized to tackle the next big thing in your life.
If you’re interested in a micro needling treatment, visit our News page. Here, you’ll find a plethora of articles written for you. We’ll explain in detail what micro needling is, how micro needling can help you, and why you should choose micro needling over any other non invasive cosmetic procedure, such as chemical peels. If you’re interested in adding micro needling to your practice, contact us today. We can get you started on training, explain our advanced micro needling pens, and tell you all about the support you receive from us. Contact us today!