Our skin is amazing. It protects our bones, muscles, organs, and tissues from infection. It is a gigantic bubble wrap, sealing in moisture to prevent our insides from drying out. It heals our wounds. It gives us our looks.
Sometimes, however, our skin doesn’t always do what it’s supposed to do. This is the case with oily skin. Your skin produces oils to protect the skin, keep it lubricated so it can stretch, kill surface germs, and hydrate the skin. When it overproduces these oils, the result is oily skin, which can clog pores and cause acne. Your skin also looks greasy and may be so to the touch.
MDPen, a provider of professional microneedling pens, offers up tips on how to treat oily skin. Visit us online today!
HOW TO TREAT OILY SKIN
- Wash regularly. As someone who has too much skin moisture (dry skin is the opposite: the result of too little moisture), the key will be to wash regularly. You’ll want to get all that excess oil off and the pores clear of the oils as well. Invest in a quality facial cleanser with all-natural ingredients and one made specifically to combat oily skin. Also, rinse with just your hands. If you use a washcloth, your skin may interpret this as “roughness” and produce more oil, in effect negating what you just did! MDPen’s Hydrating Cleanser is one option for a great gentle cleanser to sooth and calm the skin. Try it today!
- Moisturize. I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but, again, the key is to use the right moisturizer. Otherwise, you could tip the scales and end up with dry skin. An oil-free moisturizer is essential. This will help keep the right amount of moisture in and not leave your skin greasy. MDPen’s Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Moisturizer is perfectly-balanced with UV protection with all natural ingredients to hydrate immediately without leaving excess unabsorbed, contributing to oiliness.
- Use a toner and/or astringent. An astringent tightens pores and further removes oil, but because most astringents contain high levels of alcohol, they can dry out your skin and be overly harsh — the exact opposite you want for your skin. A toner unclogs pores by removing oil, dirt, and grime. A toner can also shrink pores, making it harder to become clogged in the first place. Toners and astringents do the same thing; however, toners are gentler on the skin, not usually containing alcohol.
- Invest in facials. Facials are your daily skin care regimen all in one and at a deeper level that is one of the best ways to care for your skin. A facial cleanses, exfoliates, and nourishes the skin, promoting a clear, balanced complexion. It can also rejuvenate your skin and make you look younger as your face now is smoother and has a glow. It’s like having your hair done at a salon. For those with oily skin, the summer months are an especially important time to visit your aesthetician as you are probably sweating more and lathering your face in sunscreen, which is usually oil-based.
- Exfoliate regularly. The primary reason to exfoliate is to rid your skin of dead skin cells. Oily skin grabs onto these dead skin cells longer, clogging your pores and adding to the greasiness of your face. Make sure you choose a gentle exfoliate with all natural ingredients and one that is gentle on your skin, such as one that is oil-free.
Oily skin can be frustrating, but with proper care, manageable. MDPen helps microneedling practitioners by offering products specifically for microneedling. microneedling can treat different skin conditions such as acne scars, stretch marks, and skin discolorations. Another benefit of a microneedling procedure is the stimulation of collagen production, the protein in your skin that is responsible for healing when you are injured. This substance supports the skin, and as we age, collagen production slows down, allowing the skin to be unsupported, leaving wrinkles and sagging in its wake.
microneedling is just one noninvasive, skin care procedure that helps reverse the signs of aging. Many are adding microneedling to their skin care regimen. MDPen encourages you to find the skin care treatment that works for you. Visit our shop page for all of our skin care products, including our professional microneedling pens today!