“When you know better, you do better,” Oprah Winfrey is famous for saying. Many of us did dumb things when we were young, and not necessarily on purpose — just because we didn’t know any better. Wisdom comes with age and now that we are older, we do better than our younger selves did.
One common area we might have messed up on was skin care. When you’re young, you don’t think much beyond the day you’re living (and that’s not a bad thing). You also take for granted a lot of things, such as your looks. You don’t have to worry about wrinkles and sagging skin and even more dangerous conditions such as skin cancer when you’re young. So you go in the sun without sunscreen, get multiple sunburns, and don’t invest in a skin care routine. After all, you don’t need one when you’re 20 to look good. However, what we often don’t realize is we are doing damage to our skin that will show up to haunt us when we’re 30 and beyond.
MDPen, a leader in microneedling aftercare, believes that despite the risks we took when we were young and the damage we might have done to our skin, we can take steps now to reverse the damage from years ago. MDPen is a supporter of microneedling practitioners. microneedling is a simple non invasive cosmetic procedure that can help to reverse the damage you may have done to your skin. Below, we’ll list specific steps you can take to reverse damage to your skin and from the sun. Contact us today for all your microneedling needs!
HOW TO REVERSE DAMAGE TO YOUR SKIN
- Rejuvenate your skin’s cells. This can be done with a top-quality skin care routine, performed morning and night, with high-quality products. As part of your morning skin care routine, you’ll want to apply sunscreen religiously, which is not just for protection from the sun. Sunscreen also protects against free radicals — those molecules floating around that cause damage to the skin. You’ll also want to add a retinoid in at night if at all possible. A retinoid does it all: prevents the buildup of dead skin cells, diminishes wrinkles, and lightens sun spots. A retinoid will help with color, tone, and texture of your skin. Retinoids are powerful products, so you may want to start with an over-the-counter product, which won’t be as strong as Retinol. If you don’t use a retinoid, exfoliating will be the next best step. Dead skin cells can give your skin a blotchy and uneven appearance, not to mention cause acne and other blemishes.
- Stimulate collagen production. With each year that passes, your body’s ability to produce collagen and elastin diminishes. This leads to a stretching of the skin. But what’s collagen and elastin? Collagen is a protein in your cells that gives them structure and strength. You can think of elastin as a rubber band: when it’s stretched, it returns to its original shape. Elastin is the protein in the connective tissue in the skin that helps your skin return to its original position when poked, pinched, or stretched.
- Give special attention to the thin skin around your eyes. The skin around your eyes is usually the first place you notice wrinkles. Due to its composition and location, it takes a beating by the sun, free radicals, pollution, dust, makeup, etc. Smiling and squinting for decades also contributes to the formation of wrinkles, as well as sun exposure when you don’t wear sunglasses. Moisturize this area at least twice a day with a top-notch moisturizer that contains vitamin A, C, and E. Vitamin A is the age-reversing ingredient in retinoids; vitamins C and E help protect against free-radical damage. With skin care products, you’ll need about one month to start seeing results. In addition, you can add in injectables like the muscle relaxers Botox and Dysport, or fillers such as Restylane and Juvéderm, to help with fine lines and wrinkles. microneedling will also do the trick to plump up your skin and cause those divots to fill in. These non invasive cosmetic procedures will last anywhere from 3 to 18 months, depending on your particular skin damage and the number of procedures you perform.
- Skin around your lips. Another area of thin skin, the area around your lips takes a beating from years of facial expressions. If you smoke, these are even more pronounced from years of constantly pursing your lips. If you frown, these lines (known as marionette lines) can be deep as well. For these areas, microneedling and fillers are recommended for best results.
- Your chest, neck, and hands. Hands especially reveal our age due to the skin’s thinness. All of these areas, however, have few sebaceous oil glands, making it especially susceptible to the aging process. Sebaceous glands in the skin secrete oil and functions to keep our skin moist, fight off bacteria, and helps to protect the skin from damage and regulate body temperature. Sebaceous glands are the cause of acne in teenagers (and clogged pores from dirt) but, by the age of 20, the production diminishes and continues to do so as we age. This causes the skin to dry out and lose elasticity, which causes signs of aging. Another contributor to the aging of the check, neck, and hands is neglect since most of us don’t lotion our neck and chest every day. A retinol can help as well as a targeted skin care treatment, such as lasers or even microneedling.
- Sun exposure can cause tiny, broken blood vessels around the nose and the middle part of your face. The sun actually breaks down the collagen that supports these vessels, causing them to crack, which then leads to visible redness of the skin that may linger longer than you’d like. microneedling is the recommended non invasive cosmetic procedure to help ameliorate this skin damage, or laser therapy as well.
HOW MICRONEEDLING CAN HELP WITH REVERSING SKIN DAMAGE
The loss of moisture, combined with the depletion of collagen, elastin, and keratin (another protein mainly in your skin, hair, and nails), can lead to characteristically dry skin and signs of aging. microneedling specifically targets the collagen in your skin’s cells. It creates micro injuries to your skin, which tell the collagen to gear up and produce more, so it can strengthen the area. What your body doesn’t know is that the injuries are tiny, but the collagen production will plump up the entire afflicted area.
If you’re an aesthetician, a nurse, a medical practitioner, or a spa owner and are interested in offering micro needling to your clientele, MDPen can help. We are offering incredible financing deals on our MDPen micro needle pens with no payments for 90 days for those who qualify. This is a fantastic opportunity to get started right away with offering micro needling to your patients while earning the money to pay for it as you go. The payments are tax-deductible for your business, and the application process is simple and is all online. MDPen offers unparalleled support, from micro needling training courses to marketing materials and product support.
MDPen offers the best micro needling device that moves at speeds up to 17,500 RPM, creating 15,000 micro channels per square inch for maximum coverage and a more complete treatment. This allows for the best micro needling before and after care as well, as these channels stay open a bit longer to allow for maximum absorption of MDPen’s proprietary all-natural skin care ingredients specially formulated for the micro needling patient, and for daily use thereafter.
THERE IS HOPE FOR DAMAGED SKIN
Debra Jaliman, a dermatologist had this to say about reversing the damage to your skin, “You can take 10 to 15 years off your age.” The key is to replace skin cells, stimulate collagen production, and add volume. You can start today to stop the damage to your skin and prevent future damage by just implementing some of our tips above. You can help to reverse the direction of the signs of aging with simple tasks and procedures to look younger and feel better about yourself.
The skin is an amazing organ that wants to repair itself. With a little help and encouragement from you, your skin will continue to glow for many years to come. Your skin is very forgiving, thus eliminating any guilt you may harbor from when you didn’t know any better. But now you know better, and MDPen is confident you’ll do better — both in skin care and in life. Visit us online today to learn more!